While the original entrance has the dates 1837 - 1913 above it, burials were recorded in the early 1800s. There were some members of the Newman and Bower families buried in 1818 and 1819. It is not known if the cemetery was a family cemetery before it became the City cemetery.
The cemetery was property of Portland Township until 1969. In 1969, the Village of Portland became the City of Portland and management of the cemetery was transferred from Portland Township to the City of Portland. At that time the cemetery consisted of approximately 30 acres. Today it is nearly 35 acres.
The cemetery has averaged 50 burials per year for the last 30 years and there are approximately 10,000 graves currently plotted.
Flowers and Grave Blankets Real and artificial flowers securely fastened in the urns and still in good shape will be left otherwise cemetery employees will remove and dispose of them.
Grave blankets may be place after November 1st and must be removed by April 1st or cemetery employees will remove and dispose of them.