Current Employment Opportunities


The City of Portland, is seeking a Recreation Coordinator to oversee and implement a variety of recreational programs and special events. The individual will participate in marketing and promotions activities related to parks and recreation programs. They will also assist in the oversight of department volunteers, program instructors, and sports officials.

A Bachelor's degree in parks and recreation administration, community leisure services, or related field, and a minimum of one year experience in recreation programming is required. Along with a Michigan Driver's License, a satisfactory driving record, and the ability to maintain one throughout employment.

The City of Portland is seeking an individual with knowledge of the professional principles and practices of public relational planning and programming, marketing, and administration. Knowledge of the safety issues, regulations, and procedures utilized in parks and recreation operations, and skill in developing, coordinating and evaluating a broad range of recreation programming for diverse age groups.

Compensation starts at $17.05/hour DOQ, plus an attractive benefit package.

Please submit cover letter, resume, completed application, and three professional references by August 30, 2019.

Mindy Tolan
Human Resources Administrator
259 Kent Street
Portland, MI  48875
Phone: 517-647-2941
Fax: 517-647-2938
Email: mtolan@portland-michigan.org

Under Michigan Law, applicants must request confidentiality. Resumes of selected candidate(s) will be subject to public disclosures.

Applications will be accepted until August 30, 2019 at 5:00 P.M.

Recreation Coordinator Job Description

Employment Application


The City of Portland is accepting applications for a part-time Police Officer position. The Portland Police Department is a full service department serving a 3900 person community located 20 miles west of Lansing.

Applicants MUST have a minimum of an Associate’s Degree or its equivalent and be eligible for certification as provided in Public Act 203, as amended.

Applicants must have taken and passed the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards pre-employment tests. Preference will be given to applicants who have graduated from an MCOLES Police Academy. Hourly rate is $19.94.

Please submit cover letter, resume, and completed application, to:


This position will remain open until filled. 

Police Officer Job Description

Employment Application

For more information contact: 
517-647-4111 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

"This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer"

"In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, the City of Portland is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political beliefs, or disability. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs).

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at
http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form.

You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence, S.W., Washington D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TDD) or by email at program.intake@usda.gov

"USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer"