General Election - November 3, 2020
Polls are open on Election Day from 7 am to 8 pm
Elections in Portland are held on the 2nd Floor of City Hall, 259, Kent St.
The next election in the City of Portland is the Statewide General Election on Tuesday, November 3, 2020. This election, in addition to the election of the President of the United States, includes State and County offices as well as school board members. Election results can be viewed on the Ionia County Clerk's web page on election night.
You can find the most updated information about voter registration, absentee ballots, as well as to check your registration status and polling location at the Michigan Voter Information Center. You call also the City Clerk for more information.
- Monday, October 19th - Last day to register to vote in any matter other than in-person at your local Clerk's Office.
- Tuesday, October 20th through Tuesday, November 3rd until 8 pm - A person may register to vote in-person at their local Clerk's Office with proof of residency.
- Friday, October 30th at 5 pm - Deadline to request an absent voter ballot to be mailed via first class mail.
- Monday, November 3rd until 4 pm - Last day for registered voters to request an absent voter ballot in-person at the Clerk's Office. Photo ID or completion of an Affidavit Not in Possession of Photo ID is required.
- Tuesday, November 3rd until 8 pm - A person registering on Election Day in-person in the Clerk's Office may obtain and vote an absent voter ballot or vote in their proper precinct.
The City Clerk's Office will be open for Election related business during the following extended hours:
- Saturday, November 1st from 7:00 am to 3:00 p.m.
Michigan Voter Information Center - Check your voter registration, apply for an absentee ballot and view your absentee ballot status and view sample ballots.
Michigan Secretary of State Elections and Voting FAQs
Military and Overseas Voters: Voter Registration and Absentee Ballot Request/Federal Post Card Application (FPCA)